Sunday, March 29, 2009

Efforts of Earth Hour 2009


Earth Hour happened yesterday as most of you would know. I tried to persuade my family into taking part of the event and I could only manage to convince them to turn off the lights inside the house. The rest of the electronics were still on unfortunately, such as the TV and porchlight. Oh well, at least we did something rather than nothing right?

Not much I can say about the condomenium next to mine. They supposedly are celebrating Earth Hour 2009 by having an outdoor event. Ironically, they turned on all of their electrical appliances and there were a lot of lights on the park at their side. The lights were like the ones you see on stadium game matches so you could imagine how bright it was. Not to mentioned the karaoke session they had over there that was really noisy with all the speakers they put up. Talk about environmental friendly right?



I must say that I'm impressed with the efforts put on by some shopping malls. They celebrated Earth Hour throughout this whole month by being environmental friendly. Some put up a few recycling bins within the mall, while others reduced the number of lights turned on during that period of time. Although it's not much, it's a start. Everything begins with a small step right?

Most of my friends celebrated Earth Hour as well by closing off all of their lights and electrical appliances which I'm so proud of them doing their part to help the world. Some of them even closed off all of their electrical appliances throughout the night until morning!

I've always loved the environment and I do the best that I can to do my part in helping the world. Some things that I do to conserve energy is closing off all switches that is not in use or needed at the moment such as my phone charger, my lights, even at times my fan. Before I go to sleep, I'd make sure the lights and switches are turned off and when my phone has been charged fully, I'd close the switch straight away instead of waiting until I'm free to do so. As for water, I'd close the tap while I'm brushing my teeth as I won't use it until I need to rinse so it'd save the water. I even recycle the old newspapers lying in the house at times.


Society today seem to take things for granted. Some litter their thrash around everywhere. At home, at work, even at public places. They expect other people to clean their thrash so it'd be okay to just leave or worse, throw their rubbish everywhere. It saddens me to see how people don't seem to care about the environment they live in. When I see the thrash lying around at times, I have a very strong urge to just pick it up and throw it away. People need to think this through, do you want to live in a world filled with thrash such as this?


The earth needs a break from the power we've taken from it for so long. Even 1 hour can make a big difference. People need to realize and do something about the environmental problems we're facing instead of realizing and not do anything whatsoever. Even throwing your thrash in the garbage bin would help the environment. It takes just one person to make a difference. Would you be that person?

2 comments:

  1. LOL, spotlight huh? Well, some people just couldn't care less. What a shame.

    I kept my lights off too, well, most of it until the next morning. Kept only the fridge and one fan on till 8am the next morning. After that it was pretty much back to normal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah really such a waste. I call the people next door hypocrites for doing that the other day. If you want to celebrate saving electricity then don't use any electricity at all instead of overusing it.

    Cool XD I did the same but it only applied in my room >_> rest of the house was on. Family worried that it'd be easier for us getting robbed without the lights.

    ReplyDelete