Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tutoring!

Next up, Tutoring! Yes, by some miracle and God knows why, I've been blessed with the opportunity to teach another individual as a tutor. I've been tutoring someone ENL101 and it's been an interesting experience so far.

It started last week as CAE asked me if I wanted to be an english tutor for one of the first semester students. The tutee will pay me RM7 per hour. I said sure, how hard can it be to teach a person english? Boy, was I completely oblivious to the responsibility handed to me. Tutoring wasn't as easy as I thought.

I gave the first class to my tutee for free to be the trial period and see if she's okay with the way I teach her. I was extremely nervous and unprepared for the class and it was quite a bad impression to the tutee by me. It was really unprofessional of me to ask her what would she like me to teach her as I should have been prepared for it. Anyways, she asked me about how to basically write an essay following the format such as argumentative, compare/contrast, and so on. I had completely forgotten how all those format was like so I had to look through the notes during the session and try to explain to her while I myself tried to remember back what I learned half a year ago. First session, not so good basically. I was surprised that she'd stick with me anyways.

Today, we had the official session of the class and again, I was nervous on whether I had learned enough to fill the time slot with her. Luckily, I only thought 2 out of the 3 things today to her as we didn't have enough time. Mostly because I was explaining to her the things, and she didn't completely understand it until I gave her some exercise to practice on. Luckily she managed to do some of it and I'm glad that I'm doing a good job in this at least... hopefully. I gave her some homework for her to do and some ways to improve her english better that's not boring. We'll see how it goes on Thursday. Next topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment