Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Charlie St. Cloud Review

Finally!!! I'm done with exams and studies for the next two months!! I can finally just hang loose and relax, doing whatever I want haha! So in commemoration of that, I spoiled myself with buying some movies to watch for the next few days. Gosh I've been so out of touch with movies lately that I need either a good movie that I can praise or a bad movie that I could condemn. So for the first movie I've watched after my newfound freedom was...




The story depicts about how a young man named Charlie (played by Zac Efron) who was stricken by grief over the lost of his younger brother. As guilt left him scarred in his heart, he took a job as one of the caretakers of the cemetery where his younger brother was buried. Charlie however had a special bond with his younger brother, for even after death, he could still see his brother. He meets up with his younger brother, Sam (played by Charlie Tahan) every night and plays catch with him. But later on, Charlie was then stricken with a different feeling when a girl comes into his life. He must now choose between keeping a promise he made with his younger brother, or going after the girl that he loves.

***Spoiler Alert***

Don't say I didn't warn you with the sign above there! So anyways back to the movie. I really liked the movie mainly because of the brotherly love bond that was displayed by Zac Efron and Charlie Tahan. It somehow hit a soft spot for me. You don't see that kind of relationship between brothers too often at this day and age. The connection between the two brothers in the movie was just surreal.

My favorite part of the movie was when Charlie leaves to look for Tess (played by Amanda Crew) in the ocean, having to break his promise to Sam. The synchronism of Charlie and Sam, despite being far away from each other, how they were able to say what they wanted to each other was just amazing. A really job well done to the two actors.

There were however some things that I found to be cliff-hangers for the movie. First off, the movie didn't really show much about the mother. It was like after the funeral of the younger brother, she was just cutoff from the picture. Aside from that, the movie pace itself is a little slow, and they never really show much of Charlie's relationship with his old friends despite how they made it seem they were very close before they graduated high school.

But other than those mentioned, the rest of the movie was lovely. I give it a 3.7 out of 5 because of the great acting done by Zac Efron and Charlie Tahan. You guys should definitely go see it if you have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment